Saturday, October 8, 2011

Memory






I feel the cold sand between my toes
I am standing on the shore.
I know where I am,
I've been here before.
~
I can see the foamy blue waves in the distance, rolling in.
The sky is clear and my heart is prepared.
Your memory
Like a wave
Is about to greet me.
~
I sigh in expectation-
The waves have come before.
Each time they hit, they fill the crevices
Now empty
Then wash back away from shore.
~
I hear the soft breeze as it blows through my hair.
The salty sea mist finds a place on my face
And is joined by the teardrops dancing down my cheek.
~
But my heart is at peace,
For I've learned to appreciate the waves.
I hold my breath
As the first wave crashes against my heart
I hear your soft whisper
And feel
Your warm embrace.
But I ache because I know
It is only a wave...
~
For an instant it is as if you were with me
Again
Holding me tight.
~
I wish you could stay...
~
But as soon as it hits, it rolls
Back to sea...
And I wait
Until the next time your memory greets me

2 comments:

ahbinks said...

Wow. I really like this. And I don't just say that about people our age who write anything, especially poetry. I do have to say that I'm not quite sure if they imagery of tears "dancing" down your cheek fits with the tone of the rest of the poem, but if that's what you intended, then it makes sense. :) But i really do enjoy this. I think it also helps that I have more insight to the connotation behind the poem. Good job :)

Kiersten Blaire said...

Thank you so much, Austin! Coming from you, that really does mean a lot!! :) And yes, I do believe you have a first-hand knowledge of the connotation...thanks to numerous texts helping me sort things out :) lol